Thursday 6 August 2015

But here I learn

But here I learn
It was already my final night in Tavira with Timmy. He had arranged an evening out in town, meeting up with Philip and another friend of his, Caroline, for drinks and dinner. Caroline was English so I didn't have to worry about any language barriers. We walked into town from Timmy's place, and the evening was warm enough for us to sit outside while we had a drink. I opted for a G&T, realising it was the first one I had had since setting back off on my travels. Dinner was at a restaurant called Brisas del Rio, which I managed to translate myself ("River breezes"). The name sparked a memory of one of my favourite words in Spanish which I had learned in my childhood studies (some twenty odd years earlier). "Limpiaparabrisas" - a windscreen wiper, had stuck with me since Spanish GCSE. I'm not sure why as a 15 year old who couldn't drive I needed to learn that particular word as part of my vocabulary homework but learn it I had and it had stuck in my memory. Even now as a 35 year old who couldn't drive I'm not sure it would be coming in helpful any time soon.

I started dinner with a goat’s cheese, apple and nut salad drizzled with honey. It had the word salad in it so it had to be healthy. My main was, I was assured, a typical Portuguese dish of pork and clams. It had been recommended by the rather attractive waiter who was serving our table. Who was I to disagree? His recommendation was spot on, the dish was really tasty and soon my plate was empty save for the clam shells. Dinner conversation revolved mainly around which waiter everyone round the table thought was the cutest. There was some disagreement and it got a little heated, with a glass of water being accidentally knocked over (naming no names) by someone pointing out the waiter they would quite happily go home with. The evening was rounded off with “one for the road” at a little bar just up from the restaurant. The road was a little longer than planned and I was certainly tipsy by the time we walk home. I packed my case when I got home so I would be ready for leaving in the morning.

I make new friends
My next stop was Lisbon. Gays 70 & 71, Dirceu and Andre, were a couple I had met through my friend Rui a couple of years previously. I had arranged a weekend in Lisbon to visit Rui and it coincided with a half marathon race he was doing, along with Dirceu and Andre. They signed me up for it as well. The race took in some of the less glamorous parts of Lisbon but avoided a lot of the hills, which given the temperature was approaching 30C I was most pleased about. I'd already warned the others that they may be waiting for a little while at the finish line for me to finish. As expected, I'd lost sight of them a few minutes in. My pace, which started as a brisk run, had slowed to a steady jog by mile ten. The last mile or so was on cobbled streets and I found running on them a bit tough. I think my pace by that point would be most accurately described as a “power mince”. I finished in a respectable 1 hour and 45 minutes though and when I checked later on the results website I was pleased to see that whilst a couple of thousand people crossed the line quicker than me I was the fastest runner from Great Britain (yes, I was the only runner from Great Britain so technically the slowest too but that's not quite so impressive). After the race we had a couple of drinks on a terrace overlooking the city where I got to properly meet Direceu and Andre. After heading back to Rui's to shower, change and have something to eat we met up with Dirceu and Andre again for some more drinks and a spot of clubbing. I have vague memories of us trying to do the Beyoncé Single Ladies dance. The following day I could barely walk. I blamed the running rather than the dancing.

Having done our goodbyes I was dropped off Faro train station by Timmy. I was a little hungover from the night before so needed caffeine and something stodgy to eat. There was a little café to the side of the station selling coffee and some sort of pastries. I had no idea what was in the pastry, whether it was sweet or savoury but I figured it would do the trick. I pointed at the item, held up one finger to indicate the quantity and smiled. As the lady behind the counter placed the item into a small paper bag for me I revised the number of fingers I was holding up, figuring it was a 3 hour train journey so I would probably need another later on. I grabbed a bottle of water too. I managed an “obrigado” as I paid and was given my breakfast. I ate the first one so quick I wasn’t entirely sure what the filling was. I put the second one into my bag for lunch.

The train journey to Lisbon from Faro was pleasant enough. I'd splashed out on a first class ticket and had the carriage virtually to myself. I put my case into the luggage space and my backpack on the seat opposite. The train had barely left Faro station before I got the other pastry out of my bag and ate it. So much for keeping that for my lunch. I sat watching the scenery go by for a little while before I rested my eyes for a while. Before I knew it we were approaching Lisbon. I’d been given a set of directions on how to get to the subway station where Andre would come and meet me. Despite getting off the train a stop early (thankfully still in Lisbon and connected to the subway, albeit not the one I needed to be on) I managed to find my way to the right place and texted Andre. A few minutes later I saw him approaching. He insisted on taking my case and we walked back to his. He explained that Dirceu was in bed as he had just flown back from Japan but that he would be up later and we would have dinner at theirs once he was awake.

Andre showed me my room, gave me a tour of the flat and told me to make myself at home. He gave me the wifi password, which allowed me to sort out some future travel plans. I had just had confirmation through from a friend of a friend that he could host me in Madrid. That would be Gay 72. I already had another 5 Gays lined up to host me in various places around Europe so I only had to find a few more to complete my 80. Fairly soon I would have the rest of the trip all planned out.

Dirceu woke late afternoon, came and said hello, and then disappeared again. He came back with a coffee for us both and we caught up on our respective lives since we had last seen each other while Andre set about cooking dinner. Over dinner we chatted about the various things I could see and do while in Lisbon. The only thing on my must do list was go to for Pastéis de Belém, the little Portuguese custard tarts. We had gone there the day before we did the half marathon on my previous visit. I had eaten about a half dozen I think, telling myself it would count as carb loading ahead of the race. I could already taste them. I was ready for my Lisbon adventures to begin.


“But here I learn, I meet new friends” 
Lyrics from The Harvard Variations from the musical Legally Blonde the Musical

No comments:

Post a Comment