Wednesday 13 July 2011

Wilkommen

Wilkommen, bienvenue, welcome

Wilkommen 
Ottawa, my next destination was just a short train journey from Montreal (short being two  hours/two G&T’s and a glass of wine with dinner). I had asked my next hosts, roommates Drew and Gray (D&G), the best way to get to their house from the train station but they insisted on picking me up, explaining that they didn’t want my first impression of the Canadian capital (yes, Ottawa is the capital of Canada!) to be a taxi driver.

Upon arrival I was shown to my room, given a tour of the house and offered a drink. I opted for a G&T and we headed out onto the veranda to enjoy the warm evening, the guitar playing neighbour across the street and the talent walking by. I was given a welcome pack, which consisted of a list of places to eat, split by area, a list of places to shop and a list of the bars.  All of the venues had been numbered and the back of the pack contained a map with little numbered stickers showing exactly where they were, together with a sticker marked “home”. It had been put together by D&G with great attention to detail and included fantastic local perspectives such as the description for Centretown Pub – “Old ugly f*ckers. This is my favourite place to go to feel good about myself”.

Whilst we sat and chatted on the veranda D&G told me they liked to play a game called Would/Would Not with the passing men. I didn’t need the rules explaining. I felt at home very quickly and I got the feeling that Ottawa was going to be good fun. As we sat drinking a friend of D&G’s, Dan, arrived. They both should Would Not at him as he approached. Dan got a drink and joined us outside. He had a look through my welcome pack, agreeing with the descriptions provided. Dan said that he would be free the following afternoon if I wanted a tour guide/chaperone, an offer I accepted. Everyone asked why I was spending so much time in Ottawa as there was not that much to see. I explained that I had increased my stay after a friend pointed out that I had initially planned to leave the day before Canada Day. I was sure that I could find things to keep me entertained for the duration of my stay. A couple more drinks and the conversation was flowing like we had all been friends for years. I knew that I had made three new friends within the space of an evening.

Bienvenue 
Changing of the Guard
The following morning I was shown the coffee machine and the breakfast goods and told to help myself to whatever I wanted from the fridge. There was a bottle of Irish Cream next to the coffee machine. These were my type of people. I was given a set of keys as D&G set off for work. I got myself ready and headed out for my usual bearing finding walk. From the house I headed up towards the War Memorial, just in time to see the changing of the guard. With the bright red tunic and bearskin hats of the guards I felt like I was back in London. From there I took in Parliament Hill, which was abuzz with activity ahead of the upcoming Canada Day celebrations and a visit from Wills & Kate. There was a large stage set up on the grass area in front of the main parliament building and the barricades that would keep the crowds in place were starting to go up.

Parliament Hill
I had been told by D&G that there were good views of Parliament to be had from across the river so I headed for the bridge, crossing over into Gatineau on the Quebec side, following the riverside path along. They were right. I got some good photos, got shouted at by a cyclist in French for not staying on the right and took in the scenery. I carried on walking down to the next bridge then crossed back over the river, passing the National Art Gallery and made my way back home. I let myself back in to the building using the key provided & headed up to the apartment. I tried the other key on the keyring in the lock. Nothing. I tried the first key. Nothing. I spent about five minutes trying both keys in both the locks but to no avail.

Parliament
Luckily I was able to access D&G’s wifi on my Blackberry from outside the apartment so I dropped them a quick message saying I couldn’t get in and that the keys looked suspiciously similar which made me think I had two building keys but no apartment key. Drew responded telling me I was probably trying to turn the key the wrong way. I also dropped Dan a message explaining I was locked out, asking if he was still free for lunch and an afternoon of tour guiding, which he was. I set off for Dan’s which was a few minutes walk away. I showed him the keys asking if he thought they looked the same. His response was “Those stupid b*tches”. We stopped for lunch before making our way to the National Art Gallery, spending a very pleasant afternoon walking around the various exhibits and galleries. The building itself is also stunning should you ever get a chance to visit. Dan took time to point out loads of interesting things as we walked back through town and along the canal. If I get offered a tour from a local then I am always going to take it as there are so many things I would miss walking on my own.

Welcome
Once home I gave the keys to D&G who confirmed that they had given me two building keys, which meant that their cleaner had two apartment keys. I felt vindicated that it wasn’t my stupidity preventing me getting in the apartment. The evening was supposed to have been spent enjoying a rooftop BBQ at Michael’s, a friend of D&G, but as the time came for us to set off the heavens opened so a quick change of plans saw us stay at home. Michael came over to D&G’s and Dan joined us as well. I hadn’t been told that Michael was Australian. My natural instinct with my Australian friends from back home is to take the piss as I know they all give as good as they get. I explained to Michael that Australia was on my world travel plans and that I had got some practice for visiting there in Philadelphia when I visited the Eastern State Penitentiary, a large prison. He took my gentle ribbing in good spirits.

After dinner we were joined by another friend of D&G’s, Shawn, who had originally been lined up to be my host but had recently moved out of central Ottawa, a move which D&G deemed rendered him too far away to host. As we chatted about the upcoming Canada Day celebrations, Shawn said that he might not be in Ottawa to join in the partying as he was thinking about going cottaging instead. I nearly choked on my drink. A discussion then ensued about the difference between the Canadian meaning of cottaging (going away to a cottage) and the British meaning of cottaging (think George Michael in the LA toilet). I explained to Michael that the Australians probably called it dating. A nightcap or three brought my first full say in Ottawa to an end. D&G were definitely living up to their (self-styled) title of the “Hostesses with the Mostesses”, despite the key mishap.


“Wilkommen, bienvenue, welcome” 
Lyrics from Wilkommen from the musical Cabaret

No comments:

Post a Comment