Wednesday 18 May 2011

A quick goodbye

Could I wave the years away with a quick goodbye? How do you wipe tears away when your eyes are dry?

Wave the years away
Friday 13 May. Who says it’s supposed to be unlucky? I’m in the office on time for my last day, my stomach a mix of nerves, excitement and last night’s champagne. I walk in to find my desk festooned with flags from the countries of the world, “Good luck” balloons tied to my chair and a banner wishing me bon voyage.  I’m touched that my friends at work have remembered it is my last day – it’s not like I have been counting down every day since I handed in my notice 13 weeks ago… 

My travel buddy Dean
Alongside the decorations are some neatly wrapped presents from Sarah and Marcella. The gifts (a collection of useful travel items and things to remind me of being in the office) include Dean the Mounted Patrol Officer, a reminder of the police horses that go past the office every day.  Dean will be my travel companion and will star in photos at various landmarks round the world.

A last day lunch (which included a last day bottle of wine) led to early afternoon when my colleagues all started to drift towards my desk. It was time for the leaving speech from Emma, one of the partners. Emma started one story with “People won’t know this but….” and then recounted the story of how I watched her trying to open a fridge for a couple of minutes before pointing out to her that it opened from the other side. People did know; I had told quite a few people the story the day it happened and may have even posted something on Facebook. The speech was heartfelt and humorous, the perfect send off. I got through my speech without crying and, more importantly, without insulting anyone (much!).

A quick goodbye
The evening of my last day was supposed to be a quiet affair given I was having leaving drinks the following day.  The plan was low-key drinks near the office followed by 2 hours of off-key karaoke.  I’d booked karaoke for the early evening so it wouldn’t be too late a night. No matter how long you make the karaoke booking for you always end up asking for an extra hour when your time is up. 

Three hours of karaoke later we had butchered some classic songs, trying to stick to a leaving or travelling theme.  Highlights included a slightly modified Madonna song, “Holigay”, and the girls doing a group number that summed up their feelings about me going.  The song was “Hole in the head” by the Sugababes.  Charming.
 
Wipe tears away
Saturday 14 May. My leaving party (and Eurovision) at a lovely venue, 26 Smithfield.  I had said that I would be there at 7pm but arrived about ten minutes early.  The venue was in darkness and the door was locked. I think it is safe to say I had a mild panic attack over the next ten minutes wondering if I had got the right date, time, venue. At precisely 7pm a girl arrived to open the doors and let me in. Panic over.  A steady stream of friends came and went over the course of the evening and I had a great time.  I felt like I chatted to everyone and no-one.

Eurovision was shown on the big screen.  Silence descended on the venue when Blue performed for the UK (apart from a couple of Irish hecklers shouting out “Jedward” during the performance).  Part way through the voting the screen went off. There were shouts and groans from the audience and I thought that there was going to be a riot.  After a couple of minutes someone worked out which button needed pressing and the screen was once again showing the voting. 

A couple of the girls from my department who came along expressed their bitter disappointment that there were so many good-looking men in the room but that they were all gay.  I had invited a single straight man but he had been unable to make it despite me telling him that it would have been like shooting fish in a barrel.

As the evening went on the goodbyes started.  I don’t think I have ever been hugged by so many people in one evening and admit to getting a lump in my throat and a little teary a number of times that evening.

Eyes are dry
Monday 16 May. My first official day of not having a job. I send a text to Marcella, my former secretary and friend from work. “How is the office without me? Are you missing me?”

The response was typical Marcella and simply read, “Who is this?”.



“Could I wave the years away with a quick goodbye? How do you wipe tears away when your eyes are dry?” 
Lyrics from Could I Leave You? from the musical Follies

1 comment: