Saturday 7 May 2011

So long, farewell

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye

So long
The goodbyes have started. I’ve still got a week left at work and just under 4 weeks until I leave the UK but they’ve started.  I wasn’t prepared for them. In my head the work goodbye is 13 May, the friends goodbye is 14 May and the family goodbye is a long weekend affair mixed with mother’s 60th birthday celebrations. I’ll get told off for mentioning that again.  Still, it's not like I'm also broadcasting that mother retires at the start of June and will be a proper pensioner.


Farewell
The temp secretary came to say goodbye the other day as her temp role had come to an end. She told me to have a great time on my travels and to not speak to any strange women while I was away. I’m not sure she got the concept of my travels. Or maybe she did and she was referring to lesbians? Still, she did slightly better than the previous temp secretary who actually thought that I was going away for a year and taking 80 gays with me, on some sort of big gay coach trip. I’m not one to make generalisations but they are both from Essex…


Auf Wiedersehen
This week also held a few drinks with some of the gays from work.  The lovely Mags came down from the Manchester office, or as we like to call it, the nether regions. 

Mags: So how long have you got left now?
Me:     6 days at work and just under 4 weeks until I fly off to New York
Mags: Your grin in massive
Me:     Yes, I can’t wait to set off. Getting very excited
Mags: You’ll miss us though won’t you? There must be a kernel of sadness somewhere inside?
Me:     A what?
Mags: Kernel of sadness
Me:     Wasn’t he the Kentucky Fried Chicken guy?


Goodbye
My last day at work is sandwiched between a big work client event (free cocktails all evening) on the Thursday and my leaving party on the Saturday.  However, I’ve been told I need to do something on the Friday to mark the occasion. Cue “leaving to go travelling” themed karaoke with a few friends.  I approach karaoke with much more enthusiasm than singing ability, as do the people I am going with.  I’ll be sure to do my standard karaoke duet with Sarah. We do a unique rendition of Islands in the Stream by Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers. Sarah is great – she always allows me to be Dolly.


“So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye” 
Lyrics from So Long, Farewell from the musical The Sound of Music

No comments:

Post a Comment