Sunday 5 June 2011

Broadway Baby

I’m just a Broadway baby, walking off my tired feet, pounding 42nd street, to be in a show

Broadway baby
I *heart* NY. I’ve been about half a dozen times over the last few years and still instantly fall for the city. It’s a good first stop on my travels as I know a few people here and can ease myself into the travelling thing gently as I don't feel like I need to rush around doing all the touristy things.  After queuing for what seemed like an eternity to clear immigration, I make my way to Tribeca, collect the keys for Greg’s apartment from his office and get myself settled.  The jetlag starts to kick in so I grab a shower and head out for a walk to get some air, stopping in at an AT&T store on Canal Street where a very helpful guy called Edward gets me set up with a US mobile number. I can’t bring myself to call it a cell phone. I head to meet Greg who has just finished a client meeting and is now having a few drinks. I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that gin is a good cure for jetlag…


Walking off my tired feet
A few drinks later, having been joined by Greg’s boyfriend Carlos, and Bill, a mutual friend, we go for some food.  We head to Vynl in Chelsea. I’ve been before and like the food. The décor is great too. The menus come in old record sleeves, the bathrooms have floor to ceiling murals of different singers. They play the music of the singer in each bathroom.  It reminds me of the time I was in NYC with my sister & mother and took them to Vynl for lunch.  As we tucked into our food my sister leant over and said, “Is this a gay place?”. I told her it was. She looked around the restaurant at the tables filled with mainly men and said, “I thought so. It’s all crossed legs and sunglasses on heads.” I make it through dinner although by 10pm New York time I’m flagging. I’ve been up nearly 24 hours.

Pounding 42nd street
The next morning I wake up early and decide to go get myself a coffee and check out the local neighbourhood. I forget that I am in the US and order a large coffee. It comes in a cup the size of a bucket. I do a spot of shopping and then walk up into Greenwich Village to meet up Craig, a singer/actor who I met at Halloween through my friend Sal who I was staying with. The guy that I am staying with in Washington, Simon, also happens to be in NYC with his boyfriend so, quite appropriately, we agree to meet in Washington Square. Simon tells me that they are in the Square, opposite the fountain. The fountain is round and I therefore have no idea which bit is opposite it so there is a comedy moment as we try to locate each other. We head for a spot of lunch. Craig asks if I have my itinerary with me. I don’t. He looks cross. He asks if I have a notebook. I don’t. He still looks cross. He produces an envelope and a pen from his bag and asks for the first few places I am going to. He starts jotting down things that I should go and see in the first few stops on my big gay tour. Simon and his boyfriend, Christopher, also contribute suggestions. I’ve got some great friends in my life.

After lunch we go to Barnes & Noble to buy a notebook. I point at the Glee one. Craig looks disapproving, a look he maintains when I suggest a Wizard of Oz one with glittery ruby slippers on the front. I settle on a plain beige one. Craig tells me exactly how I should set it out, with a page for each city and the things I should do, then three pages for notes of what I get up to. He says he wants to see my completed notebook next time we meet. He also tries to install Google maps on my Blackberry to help me round the places I am in but I’ve done something to my phone and it’s not working properly. I go back to AT&T and see the same guy who served me the previous day. I explain that due to a combination of jetlag and technical incompetence I need him to fix my phone, which he does. Edward at the AT&T store on Canal Street is now my new best friend.

To be in a show
As well as the list of places to visit, Craig has also written me a to do list on the envelope.  He tells me that I have to try and get a ticket to see Follies at the Kennedy Center in Washington DC. I manage to get one although it is nearly sold out.  It has Bernadette Peters and Elaine Paige in it and some great musical numbers in it, including Broadway Baby.

I also book my bus ticket that will get me from NYC to DC too. A steal at $14, the journey time is just over 4 hours but the bus has wi-fi so I should be able to update my blog and website making the most of the journey time. I get a bit confused entering the dates on sales site as the Americans do things differently. I’ve hopefully booked a ticket for 8 June but it is quite possible I have booked one for 6 August. Only time will tell! Dinner and a couple of drinks with Greg round off my first full day of 80 Gays.



“I’m just a Broadway baby, walking off my tired feet, pounding 42nd street, to be in a show” 
Lyrics from Broadway Baby from the musical Follies

No comments:

Post a Comment