Thursday 2 June 2011

High flying adored

High flying adored

High flying
I’ve gone! I’ve left London. The day that I’ve been counting down to since seemingly forever has finally arrived.  I’m on the plane somewhere over the Atlantic writing this.  I’ve had my lunch, and remarkably for me, didn’t have a G&T with it.  I’m happily watching Black Swan, quite apt for my travels with the bit of girl on girl action in the middle of it, which reminds me I must try and find some lesbians to stay with as part of my travels.  The film is coming to what I suspect is the finale.  I’m not sure of the time limitation on film spoilers but she looked like she was just about to throw herself to her death.  It was at this point that the British Airways stewardess interrupted my viewing to announce that some people were experiencing problems with the entertainment system and she would have to adopt the strategy so loved by IT helpdesks up and down the country. Yes, she is going to turn the system off and back on again. I hope she doesn’t get the wrong switch and turn the plane off.

Dean at Heathrow T5
I people watch. It’s a habit/hobby of mine, a habit/hobby I thoroughly enjoy.  I’ve already spotted some of the usual suspects that seem to be ubiquitous on every flight. There is the couple with the angelic looking toddler that is bound to play up at some point during the flight, the woman who thinks that queuing to board doesn’t apply to her and the people who seem to get confused by the basic number and letter system used for finding your seat. There is also the matching gay couple; they are a few rows back from me. They look very similar, they both have shaved heads, well maintained beards, checked shirts and man bags. 

Anyway, the entertainment system is back up and running now so I can finish watching the film. I have a running joke with my friend Sarah, who I used to sit opposite at work. Whenever we talked about what book we were reading or film we planned watching that night, the other person would always claim to have read/seen it and would say, “She dies at the end”.  I won’t spoil the ending for you though.

Adored
So I'm on my way to NYC to see Greg, Gay Number One and an ex-pat Brit.  Accordingly in my suitcase I have a veritable smorgasbord of Percy Pigs, the traditional gift any visitor from Blighty takes to fellow Brits abroad.  There are the traditional Percy Pigs, Percy Pig and Pals (I have a fondness for the cola cows), Percy Piglets, Reversy Percy and Phizzy Pig tails.  I know they will be a hit with Greg and if any survive the first night I hope that some of the Americans get to experience them.  My top tip to anyone who has any upcoming visitors from the UK or has friends going to visit the UK is to get them to bring some Percy Pigs for you. I'd recommend the traditional Percy Pig. Apparently an average of two Percy Pigs are eaten every second. It is perfectly acceptable to offer a bowl of Percy Pigs at the end of a dinner party in lieu of dessert. However, they aren't suitable for vegetarians as they do actually contain pork! I might have to get some shipped over to keep me going while I am travelling. If anyone from Marks & Spencer is reading this, get in touch...



“High flying adored” 
Lyrics from High Flying Adored from the musical Evita

No comments:

Post a Comment